21 October, 2006

Whoops - it's all Greek to me!

Well it had to happen - I've had the advance copy for a couple of weeks (UK edition) and I've found the first typo. And unfortunately, it's a big one!

On page 37, the Greek words inscribed on the ring worn by members of the 'Order of the Mustard Seed' are given as "ΟΥΔΕΙΣ ΗΜΩΝ". This is wrong! Two crucial words got cut off by the typesetters, and the full Greek text of the ring inscription should actually be "ΟΥΔΕΙΣ ΗΜΩΝ ΕΑΥΤΩ ΖΗ" ('none of us live for themselves').

Arguably these were the four most important words in the book, so to lose two of them is, to say the least, irritating. I already know of at least two people who have versions of it tatooed on their forearms as an indelible reminder of their commitment to Christ. So, if you ever meet anyone wearing half a Greek inscription as a tatoo, now you know the reason why. Please break it to them kindly, especially if there is no room left for the rest of the words on the relevant part of their anatomy.

I suppose it could be worse. Your Kingsway UK first edition first printing copy of "The Lord of The Ring" may just be valuable one day. And it's not nearly as bad as the early version of the King James Bible which rendered Exodus 20:14 as "thou shalt commit adultery"...

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan King said...

I totally noticed this when I was reading it and wondered if the book was wrong or the rings that had been made up (pictured in your post) had some other words added secretly!?!

I was actually having fun wondering what else the ring might say (*grin*)!!!

Now I know it was the book ...

::dan::

5:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home